CAPITAL: CAGAYAN DE ORO
LAND AREA: 3,570.1 sq km
TEL. AREA CODE: 8822
NO. OF TOWNS: 26
ZIP CODE: 9000
Misamis Oriental used to be a part of Cebu. In 1818, it became
a "conregimento" comprised of 4 "partidos" or
divisions; namely, Partido de Misamis, Partido de Dapitan, Partido
de Cagayan and Partido de Catarman.
During the latter part of the 19th century, Misamis was one of
the 6 districts of Mindanao, and later, one of the seven districts
in Mindanao and Sulu at the close of the Spanish era with Cagayan
de Misamis, now Cagayan de Oro, as its capital.
When it was still a part of the district of Cebu, there were 12
Spaniards and 9 Filipinos who successively served as "governadore"
with Mayor Carabello as the first governor in 1874.
Legislative Act. No. 3537, approved in November 2, 1929, divided
the province of Misamis into two provinces due to the lack of geographical
contiguity: Misamis Oriental and Misamis Occidental. However, it
was not until 10 years later that the division was implemented by
an amendment, Act. No. 3777, adopted on November 28,1939. When Misamis
Oriental became a separate province, Don Gregorio Pelaez was its
first Governor. Since then, there were 14 past governors who were
elected and appointed by operation of law.
The earliest known settlers of the territory were the Negritoes.
Centuries later, Malay colonists with Mongoloid features, fought
the natives for the control of the rich Cagayan River coastal plains.
The struggle for possession has finally won the native Visayans
over the Bukidnons. In the 1500´s most of the Mindanao area
had fallen under the Muslim and the inhabitants were converted into
Islam. As part of Mindanao, the people of the territory were obliged
to pay tribute to the Muslim rule
Go to Top
Pueblo De Or Golf And Country Club
An 18-hole par 72 world classes all weather championship
Golf Course designed by world- renowned designer Robe Trent Jones
II. It is complete with facilities and amenities such as modern
clubhouse, functions rooms, pro-shop, driving range, practice putting
greens and others.
Vicente De Lara Park
Situated in front of the Provincial Capitol of Misamis Oriental
with age-old mahogany trees that provides a therapeutic canopy for
Museum of Philippine household heirlooms and antiques. This
is the Rodolfo and Elsa Pelaez family memorabilia. Administered
by the Liceo de Cagayan University.
The home of the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro City, this place of
worship is also famous for its century old stained glass windows
Named after the first Mayor of Cagayan de Oro, Segundo Gaston; located
near the Saint Augustine Cathedral and Archbishops Palace.
This park was the center of town when Pueblo de Cagayan was first
erected in 1624. This plaza served as the training ground for the
local revolutionaries who were preparing for the Phil-American War
Museo De Oro & Xavier University
Located at Corrales Avenue; exhibits repertoire of Bukidnon and
Maranao Cultures that have survived the ravages of time.
Golden Friendship Park Catanico
Located about 10 kilometers away from the city. The falls
drop into a swimming pool where bathers could dive from where the
water descends; concealed by huge boulders and covered with fern
Located in the southeastern portion of the city is the San
Jose Seminary, the training center for aspiring priest; also the
site of the Carmelite Nunnery where it houses the Miraculous Infant
Pelaez Sports Center
Along A. Velez St., offers sports facilities, including an
Olympic-size swimming pool; site of the first Palarong Pambansa
outside Metro Manila in 1975.
Go to Top
MALASAG NATURE TRAIL
and ECO / TOURISM VILLAGE
Located at Barangay Bulua; handcrafted home and office decors, household
wares and giftables are available.
Situated some 7.0 kilometers from sitio Palalan, brgy. of Tablon.
It is surrounded by boulders and stones dubbed by the city as Oro
stone similar in characteristics with the Mangima Stone. It has
3 steps of falls at approximately 50 meters apart with the upper
portion, ( the source ) , as the biggest of the three.
Located at Barangay Mambuaya this city; the cave entrance
is flowing water from underground stream. The cave has a small opening
that seems too narrow to be passable, it has a six (6) inches airspace
between ceiling and water that you have to submerge yourselves one
by one, equipped with a helmet and a waterproof cap lamp. The cave
contains a beautiful sparkling formations which is called the CALCIUM
CARBONATE (CaCO3) or CALCITES. These stalactites and stalagmites,
white and brown, are sign of oxidized materials that take 50-60
years to form an inch. The cave is definitely spellbinding. There
were formations of flowstones, gurpool-resembling rice terraces,
transparent crystals and picturesque speleothems, such as cathedral
drapes and icons. Everything was simply beautiful and awesome.
On the south end of the city, about eight kilometers south
is Huluga Cave. Composed of two main caverns, it is situated on
the eastern side of Cagayan River, along the brow of a vertical
limestone cliff. The skeletal fragment from these caves were found
to belong to a child and a woman who inhabited Cagayan 1,600 years
B.C. This was based on the acid racemization done by Scripps Institute
in La Jolla, California.
Go to Top